Module 3 Quality Questioning

Part I

Chapter 1 The purpose of Quality Questioning is students learning at different levels. Everyone in the classroom has a chance to voice their opinion. They are exposed to open discussion and the students add something to the topic during this time. Quality Questioning shows students being engaged and the subject matter is very diverse. In my classroom, I can visualize students answering rapid-fire questions. The students are used to the type of questions that are administered.

Chapter 2 Questions are opportunities to open up learning, to connect it to prior learning. The great thing about questions is that they can open up the students' minds. Students need ways to connect with the world around them. Quality Questions focus students on relevant content adjacent to learning goals and standards. Students can be encouraged to facilitate their thinking at the appropriate level. Clearly and concise words facilitate thinking at the appropriate level. I think that making things understandable and on individual levels is helpful for students to do well on assessment work.

Chapter 3 I think the first subject we need to discuss is a safe environment for students to ask and answer questions. I believe that positive teacher-student relationships should create a comfortable learning environment. Our beliefs and expectations don't always affect performance. In my future classroom, I want to inspire, help, and welcome students' many questions. I think the response technique that most resonates with my teaching style is the choral response. 

Chapter 4 Scaffolding is the assistance of a learner that is especially accommodated for their needs. Scaffolding gives prompts and hints which are helpful for students and their learning. I also like the idea of "Think Time", this ideas is all about prompting to extend student thinking and deepen their understanding. The "Think Time" gives all students a chance to think about the question before answering. It also shows respect and listening that is thoughtful. Also, text-based evidence prompts and hints tell other students to respect others opinions and verbal cues. In my future classroom, I want to be able to prompt students so that they can expand their thinking and intensify their thinking. 

Chapter 5 During classroom discussion, student feedback should be encouraged, teach students to control their own  learning. When peers assess their work, students tend to be more motivated. Student feedback can be used to guide the next instructional move. I think the most challenging thing in my classroom when comes to feedback, would be trying to give feedback to all your students. Also, everyone does not understand the feedback that is given, so that could cause more confusion. I like the idea of having the peer-to-peer feedback idea. I believe this could help with the teacher with giving feedback to all students.  

Part II
The Realtime Board was very interesting, to say the least. At first, I was a little confused on how to work the website, but after awhile I became familiar with  the tool. I used the tool to organize my thinking for each chapter. I like to do small notes with key words or definitions in my own words. I usually can remember things easier that way. I used different colored post-its for different things. For example, I used a pink color for the chapter question and blue for future classroom ideas. I think it would be useful for students who take notes on their devices

Part III

Kahoot!
Purpose of this Tool: Kahoot! is a tool that uses technology to give quizzes, develop conversations, and surveys. The game can be played by the whole classroom. Students can answer questions with their smartphone, tablet or computer.

Technology Knowledge Needed: Basic knowledge of downloading apps and how apps work with student groups.

Connections to Quality Questioning: Quality Questioning can connect because Kahoot! It is a good way for students to start conversations about topics that they want to learn more about. Group discussion is a good way for students to challenge their thinking and encourage feedback from other students.

Quizlet

Purpose of this Tool: Quizlet is a free app that lets students create their own flashcards. The students can make up their own vocabulary word assessments that are interactive.

Technology Knowledge Needed: Basic knowledge of downloading apps and how apps work with student groups.

Connections to Quality Questioning: Quizlet gives an students the opportunity to control their own learning and also view other learning styles. I actually use Quizlet myself and find it very useful. I am a visual person and have to see the definition in my mind before I can recall. I have notice in my teaching field that a lot of younger students learn like this and discussing the meaning amongst groups helps too.    




Comments

  1. I to found the White board application a bit confusing at first. In my opinion it is a lot like the Word application. I am a huge fan of Kahoot! I love the fact that you can actually develop conversation using this application .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Kahoot! I have seen it used in Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classes. Out of all of the applications that I have seen used, I think Kahoot! is the best at engaging students. It's always fun and rewarding to see just how much students have learned, and Kahoot! makes this possible. I think it's a great way for teachers to assess their students without having to give them a paper and pencil test. Kahoot! is engaging and allows the students to collaborate and work in teams as well. I plan on using Kahoot! once I have my own classroom because it ties in so well with quality questioning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Technology, Professionally and Personally and What's next?

Instructional Design Impact and Concept Development!